Logan County

County Seat: Guthrie, Oklahoma 73044

Logan County was named for U. S. Senator, John A. Logan, of Illinois.

 

@blogoklahomaus
Bill Doolin's Grave
Bill Doolin William "Bill" Doolin 1858 - 1896 Killed Aug. 25, 1896 near Lawson, Oklahoma Territory by Deputy United State Marshall Heck Thomas and Posse
@blogoklahomaus
Blue Bell Bar
Blue Bell Bar One of the most popular of the numerous saloons in Guthrie during Territorial times, the Blue Bell was an 1889 enterprise of John Selstrom and Jack Tearney. It boasted Tom Mix as a bartender before he departed for Stardom in silent films, and Temple Houston, famed attorney, as ...
@blogoklahomaus
Bonfils Building
The 1890 City Directory lists 107 S. 2nd as F. C. Bonfils Real Estate with residence on 2nd floor. Son of a Missouri Judge and descendant of Napoleon, he was 28 when he joined the Land Run of 1889. A colorful con man and lottery promoter, he had but one intention - - to make money for Bonfils. ...
@blogoklahomaus
Brooks Opera House
Brooks Opera House Built in 1899 as an adjunct to the Royal Hotel, the Brooks was praised in its day as the finest theater in the Southwest. It presented popular entertainments and was also the setting for many dazzling "first nights" for territorial society. Some historic events of its gol ...
@blogoklahomaus
Carnegie Library
Built in 1902 with a grant of $25,000 from Andrew Carnegie. It housed the first tax supported library in Oklahoma. It was the site of the inaugurations of Territorial Governor Frank Frantz in 1905 and 1st State Governor Charles N. Haskell in 1907. Scene of many public and club meetings ...
@blogoklahomaus
De Ford Building
Built in 1890 by Irwin S. DeFord, self-described "money-lender" and capitalist. The DeFord Building is perhaps the gem of Joseph Foucart's architecture in Downtown Guthrie. The sidewall, facing "Government Acre" surrounding the Land Office, an area more distinguished than its front, Feat ...
@blogoklahomaus
First Library in Oklahoma
First Library This is the first Carnegie Library in Okla. Frank Frantz, last Territorial Governor and Charles Haskell, First State Governor were inaugurated on the steps here. The mock Wedding of Miss Indian Territory and Mr. Oklahoma Territory was here. The First State Flag was made he ...
@blogoklahomaus
First State Capitol - Guthrie
This building was the State Capitol when the State Seal was stolen from here and taken to Okla City on the night of June 11, 1910. Thus moving the site of the State Capital. The first university of Oklahoma was located here in 1892, it operated as such for two years. Erected by Fogarty Jr. H ...
@blogoklahomaus
First Town Site of Marshall
Begun as crossroads store on claim of Sylvan T. Rice with first sale July 25, 1869. On March 1 1890 became Marshal I. T. Post Office Moved to new townsite 1894.
@blogoklahomaus
Guthrie
Guthrie First Capital of Oklahoma Territory,1890-1907; State 1907-1910. First post office established April 4, 1889,Dennis T. Flynn, P.M. This became largest city in "Old Oklahoma" by the Run, April 22, 1889. Constitutional Convention met here, 1906. Wm. H. Murray Pres. Chas N. Haskell fi ...
@blogoklahomaus
Guthrie City Hall
Guthrie's building spree peaked April 9, 1902, with laying the corner-stone for its commodious City Hall, designed by Joseph Foucart in his best belfry and turret style. The building's second floor assembly room was used for the Constitutional Convention beginning November 1906, as elected dele ...
@blogoklahomaus
Guthrie Historic District
Guthrie Historic District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This District possess National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1999 National Park Service United State Department of the Interior
@blogoklahomaus
Guthrie National Guard Armory
National Guard Armory Guthrie, Oklahoma Built by the Works Progress Administration May 26, 1937 Placed on the National register of Historical Places September 8, 1988 By the United State Department of the Interior. Donated by 45th Inf. Div. Assn.
@blogoklahomaus
Guthrie-The Birthplace of Oklahoma
Guthrie The Birthplace of Oklahoma In Memory of The Early Day Settlers
@blogoklahomaus
Land Office
Land Office This stone marks the site of the U.S. Land Office where each of 20,000 persons making the "Historic Run of 1889" had to appear in person and file his claim. This also is the site of the first post office in old post office in old Oklahoma. Erected by Fogarty Jr. High Oklahoma His ...
@blogoklahomaus
Logan County Courthouse
Logan County Courthouse listed on the National Register of Historic Places on 1984.
@blogoklahomaus
Melvin B. Tolson
Melvin B. Tolson 1898 - 1966. A Black Poet Lived Here. Poet Laureate of Liberia. Marker by Creative Writing Club.
@blogoklahomaus
Oklahoma Territorial Museum
Through artifacts, photographs and paintings, the Oklahoma Territorial Museum tells the story of the determined people who laid the foundation for the future State of Oklahoma. On the museum grounds stands the Carnegie Library, where the first state governor was sworn in. Preserved by the Oklah ...
@blogoklahomaus
Post Office
Dennis T. Flynn (afterwards delegate in congress from Oklahoma) with no authority beyond a telegram from Senator Plum of Kansas saying he was to be appointed postmaster, opened the post office in a tent on April 23, 1889. At first, he just handed out the mail with volunteer help - - all day and ...
@blogoklahomaus
Reeves Brothers Casino
Reeves Brothers Casino One of the most notorious gambling houses of the Southwest, opened in a tent April 23, 1889. Soon a frame building went up later replaced by brick. The owners claimed their doors never closed, day or night for 15 years. When closed by prohibition in 1907, a key coul ...
@blogoklahomaus
Rough Riders
Two weeks after war was declared on Spain, 85 volunteers, mostly members of the Territorial National Guard, on May 5, 1898, filled the Territory's quota as Troop A, 1st United States Volunteer Calvary, the famed Rough Riders. Examined and issued orders from "Camp George W. Steele&qu ...
@blogoklahomaus
Roxana
1st and only oil boom town in county. Est. 1927 when No. 1 McCully gushed as 1st mile-deep well in state. By 1928, 14 wells produced 25,000 bbls. Grew to 1,000 pop., declined after refinery fire. Rock school bldg. and frame store bldg. remain 1 ml. S. Some wells still operate.
@blogoklahomaus
Roxana Ranch - Orignal Town site of Roxana
Roxana Ranch Founded 1992 Original Town Site of Roxana Roxana Oil Co. hit McCully well 29 June 1927 1st well in Oklahoma drilled over a mile deep. Town platted 16 July 1927 by George L. Ross. Application to vacate the town site 17 March 1939, except property owned by John J. T ...
@blogoklahomaus
Run of '89 - North Boundary
Run Of '89 North Boundary. At the opening of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, this was the north line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract, south, were peopled by tens of thousands, homes were planted and tent cities sprang up before nightfall.
@blogoklahomaus
Same Old Moses Saloon
During the 17 Territorial years, open saloons thrived in Guthrie. One of the most popular was the "Same Old Moses" operated by Moses Weinberger, a settler from Wichita, Kan. Weinberger made the run selling bananas April 22, 1889, and soon established a fruit stand at 218 West Oklahoma. ...
@blogoklahomaus
St. Joseph Convent and Academy
National Register Of Historic Places
@blogoklahomaus
State Seal Stolen
State Seal Stolen This building was the State Capital when the State Seal was stolen from here and taken to Okla City on the night of June 11, 1910. Thus moving the site of the State Capital. The first university of Oklahoma was located here in 1892, it operated as such for two years. Ere ...
@blogoklahomaus
The Black - First Territorial Prison
The Black - First Territorial Prison aka - First Territorial Jail In 1892 Guthrie, Oklahoma was home to one of the very first Federal Prisons in the Midwest. Labeled the “Black Jail” by inmates. Bill Doolin was once a inmate, also the Dalton Gang. The Prison closed in the early 1900's. ...
@blogoklahomaus
U. S. Government Land Office
With the opening of the approximately two million acres of "Oklahoma Country" for homestead settlement at 12 noon Monday, April 22, 1889, thousands of settlers rushed to claim free land. Those making claims were required by law to register at one of two U. S. Government Offices, one located at ...