Historic Places in Marshall County, Oklahoma
Burney Institute. Site in vicinity south. Established in 1854 by Chickasaw Council, Daugherty Colbert, Chief; David Burney, Joel Kemp, George D. James, A. V. Brown, school trustees. Opened as school for Chickasaw girls 1859, under super ...
Named for Gen. Henry Leavenworth who died near here July 21, 1834, while enroute from Fort Givson to Wichita Village in Western Oklahoma for a peace conference with Plains Indians. The expedition continued under Col. Henry Dodge, assi ...
Marshall County Courthouse
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984
Red River Bridge
The Red River has been a key factor in the history of Marshall County. The building of the Red River Bridge created numerous jobs for the area in the 1930's. (These are notes and not marker text)
The county name honors the maiden name of George Henshaw's mother. Henshaw, a Madill native, served in the 1906 Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.