Historic Places in Pittsburg County, Oklahoma
Blackburn's Station was a stage stand on the old Butterfield Overland Mail route in Indian Territory. It was located in what is now Pittsburg County, Oklahoma. The station was named for Casper B. Blackburn, an inter-married Choctaw and ...
Carl Bert Albert
Carl Bert Albert Carl Albert, the forty-sixth speaker of the House of Representative, the congress of the United States, was born here may 10, 1908. A company house located in a coal mining camp remained the family home until past ...
Dr. J.E. Wright
J.E. Wright, D.D.S., opened first permanent dental office in the Indian Territory, Savanna, 1885. He practiced as itinerant dentist at Tishomingo Academy, Stonewall, Johnsonville, and White Bead Hill before settling in Savanna. Moved to ...
God's Little Angels Memorial
1st marker: "God's Little Angels" Artist - Elouise DeGiacomo Inspired by God "We Are all Someone's child." 2nd Marker: Shall We Gather Shall we gather at the angel as we bow our head and pray Remembering all the dear souls ...
Originally the trading post of James Perry. By 1849 this was one of the most important early day towns. Here was the intersection of the Texas and California Roads, and many noted expeditions passed through along both of these routes.. ...
Pioneer Miner Memorial
Pioneer Miner He may have been killed, or suffered permanent injury, or black lung in his hazardous occupation. It was by his labor that the early day economy of this area was built. He left with us and ethnic and cultural mix that ...
Pittsburg County War Memorial
Pittsburg County War Memorial Lest We Forget Photo and text Courtesy of Loretta and Charles Donaghe
Senator Gene Stipe
A historical marker for Eugene E. "Gene" Stipe (October 21, 1926 – July 21, 2012) the longest-serving member of the Oklahoma State Senate. (doing research for this marker)
Tobusky Indian Courthouse Museum
Tobusky Indian Courthouse Museum The first courthouse in McAlester Photo and text Courtesy of Loretta and Charles Donaghe
Pittsburg County was formed on July 16, 1907 as an original county from Choctaw land. It was named after Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, with the "h" removed, the city of origin of one of the first settlers.