Home     Places     Choctaw     Spencer Academy

Spencer Academy

A noted school for boys, Spencer Academy was established by the Choctaw Nation in 1841 and named for Secretary of War John C. Spencer. Students who became Choctaw leaders included Allen Wright, Jackson McCurtain, and Jefferson Gardner. Two elderly black slaves, Uncle Wallace and his wife, Aunt Minerva, hired out by their Choctaw owner to work for missionaries at the academy, first sang "Swing Low Sweet Chariot," "Roll, Jordan, Roll" and other spirituals composed nearby.
Pictures
Photo (c)
Photo (c)
Directions

On U.S. Highway 70, in Sawyer, Oklahoma (east side of town)

Google Map
34.019095, -95.362616
Google Maps | OpenStreetMap | Mapquest | Bing Maps

Tags

     

More Information

Links:

Listed in Choctaw County
 

Exploring Oklahoma History Badge Style Logo (c)BlogOklahoma.us Script Logo (c)
Copyright © 2013

Creative Commons License