Cheyenne City Park and Museum complex


Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

There are 6 museums in the city park complex. We have the One Room School, Pioneer Museum, Minnie Slief Community Museum and Veterans Display, Santa Fe Depot, Chapel, and Kendall House Log Cabin.

The Log Cabin and One Room School are self guided withsignage in the windows and are open any time.

Summer hours for the museums are M-S from 10 – 4

All museums are free, with donations welcomed.

There is plenty of parking for vehicles of all types and bathrooms are readily accessible. We are handicapped accessible in the museums as well as the bathrooms.


Directions:

South side of Cheyenne, Oklahoma, on L.L. Males Ave. (U.S. 238)


35.608078, -99.671387
OpenStreetMap | Google Maps | Bing Maps

Pictures:

Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)
Photo (CC BY-NC-SA)

   

 


Pioneer Museum and Cheyenne Visitor Center
Cheyenne was settled by the third land run in Oklahoma Territory on April 19, 1892. This museum is the newest addition to the City Park complex and contains unique collections and displays depicting the land run and settlement of the area. Antique tractors, and farm machinery are also displayed.



Hours of operation are Mon-Sat 10 am to 4 pm and Sun by appointment. Museum and restrooms are handicapped accessible. No admission charged, donation box available


Roll One Room School House
The Roll one-room school was one of 101 one room schools that dotted Roger Mills County in the early 1900’s. The school was built in 1903 for $200 by the fathers of the community under the direction of Mr. Bill Hanawalt. In 1943, the school consolidated with Crawford and the building became a community center. The ladies rolled bandages for the war effort and when WWII was over, they decided to form a quilting club which met until 1989. The school also hosted community dinners and events.



In 1990, it was the only one room school left in the county that had been preserved. It was given by Vera Caudle (on whose land it stood) to the Historic Roger Mills Preservation Foundation and moved to Cheyenne that fall. Five people spear-headed the restoration project and it was dedicated on April 4, 1991. The next week, classes began. The school is located on Highway 283 on the South edge of Cheyenne.


Minnie Slief Community Museum
Communities in Roger Mills County have displayed their own history and memorabilia in this building. The communities which make up Roger Mills County are Cheyenne, Hammon, Strong City, Durham, Crawford, Sweetwater, Sunny Point, Meridian, Herring, Hamburg, Grimes, Rankin-Reydon, Carpenter, Roll, and Breezy Meadow. The Community Museum also contains the new Veterans’ display, an unequaled display of uniforms, pictures, scrap book, and war memorabilia.


Cheyenne Santa Fe Railroad Depot
The first railroad built into Roger Mills County was the Clinton Oklahoma & Western Railroad (it was called the COW Railroad for short). It ran from Clinton to Strong City. The people of Cheyenne were afraid that Strong City might become the County Seat, so the town, yes, the town of Cheyenne (only town we had ever heard of ) built their own Short line from Strong City to Cheyenne and it was nicknamed the CALF. The depot was located in the north part of town and was bought by CO&W . Santa Fe extended their tracks from Clinton to Pampa. The last train ran into Cheyenne in 1981. The depot was bought and moved to Woodward, OK to serve a café; later bought by Windle Turley who had it moved back to Cheyenne. The Historic RMC people restored it. The employees and friends of the railroad have furnished it with original items.


Chapel in the Park
A country chapel complete with stained glass windows and seating for 100. Memorial brick path and church history scrapbooks. Can be reserved for weddings and other occasions


Strong City-Kendall Log Cabin
An original log cabin from early 1900’s. It was originally used as the townsite house. People who had made the run, paid their filing fees at the townsite home. Many people lived in this home. The Kendalls lived here the longest; the Sam Kendall Family was the last. It has been restored and furnished so that you can look at all its treasures inside. The log cabin is set up as a self guided tour with window information as you walk around the cabin. On the North side of the cabin is a plaque telling all its rich history. Viewing is possible any time of day, all year around.

Other Park Pictures:


Links:

Other places listed in Roger Mills County