Britton School/Science Hill
Established in 1911 and known as
Science Hill. The school house was
located one half mile east of this
memorial. Later the name was
chaged to Britton School in honor of
the pioneer family, the church located
at the same site served as a Grade
First school enumeration done in June
1912 reported 18 families in the
district designated as #108 of the
Gracemont School System.
Oscar E Bare was School Clerk.
Britton one of the oldest schools in
this area when it was closed in1950.
Had 24 families all were farmers
except for 1 oil field worker, 1
mechanic and 1 day laborer;
J.E. Mashaney was School Clerk.
Marker is located directly under
Indian Head Rock, Home of Caddo
Former Residents and
Friends gather each September for a
School Community Reunion.
Oklahoma Historical Society
0000 ~ 1996
Binger, OK: Junction 152 and 281/8 go east for 6.3 miles marker is on right side of road.
Anadarko, Ok: Junction 62/9 and 281/8 go north on 281/8 for 17.1 miles to Junction 152 and 281/8 turn left on 152 go 1.6 miles marker is on the right side of road.
Google Maps | OpenStreetMap | Mapquest | Bing Maps
This is the back side of the monument. Listed are the Pioneer Families, School Teachers and Marker Committee.
The red rock behind the monument is called Indian Head Rock Home of the Caddo Indian Tribe.