Home     Places     Jackson     Martha Centennial Memorial

Martha Centennial Memorial

1896-1996 History of the Martha Community *
Photo (c)
Photo (c)

Corner of Church and School Street. Martha, Oklahoma

Google Map
34.725019, -99.384771
Google Maps | OpenStreetMap | Mapquest | Bing Maps



More Information
More Pictures:
IMG_2652 IMG_2656
IMG_2653 IMG_2655 IMG_2654

The full marker reads *:
Martha Centennial Memorial
1896-1996 History of the Martha Community

1803 - Greer County - Part of the Louisiana Purchase
1885 - First Settler was Clint Maddox
1888 - Martha Medlin taught school 1/2 Mi N and 1/2 Mi W of present post office -- in a dugout
1889 - Baptist and Methodist churches both organized


1889 - Post office est - named Martha Thomas Medlin named postmaster 5-18-1889 Henry C Doughty named postmaster 9-27-1892 to 11-21-1900
1889 - First school house built
1889 - First mercantile store built by Clint Maddox, Henry C Doughty and Thomas F Medlin
1889 - First blacksmith shop built by Clint Maddox
1891 - Martha cemetery founded
3-16-1896 - Courts ruled Greer was unassigend lands
1896 - Martha was Greer County Oklahoma Territory
1907 - Martha was in Jackson Co. Oklahoma
Formed from Old Greer Co Oklahoma Territory
1909 - Original plats town of Martha were filed
1910 - Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway Co built railroad through Martha

This monolith dedicated July 20, 1996
Listed in Jackson County

Exploring Oklahoma History Badge Style Logo (c)BlogOklahoma.us Script Logo (c)
Copyright © 2013

Creative Commons License