Elliott Academy

Exploring Oklahomam History
Established here in 1869 as Oak Hill Industrial Academy by Presbyterian Board of Missions as boarding school for children of Choctaw Freedmen. Academy succeeded small school begun in 1860 by ex-slave and Presbyterian Minister Charles W. Stewart to serve numerous black families who had settled here after Civil War. Name changed in 1912 after David Elliott gave funds for new dormitory in memory of his wife, Alice Lee. Students cleared and operated large farm to help support school. Hundreds of students trained at academy before closer in 1936.

Oklahoma Historical Society 198-1995

Location

south side of US 70, just east of N450, near Valliant, OK.
OpenStreetMap Google Maps
34.006414658560956, -95.1195752620697

Photos

Notes

Links: * GPS coordinates from other source.