Famous Courthouse featured in the movie,"The Grapes of Wrath." This beautiful structure was completed in 1911 at a costof $69,000. Designed by the architectural firm of Layton, Wemyss Smith and Hawk, it was built by Oklahoma Quarries and construction Company. The building is a symmetrical blend of Neo-Classical and Second Renaissance Revival styles. Outstanding features included colossal Doric columns above the main entryway,classical pilasters, a grooved surface on the ground floor, and distinctive beltcourses. The most unique part of the design was the dome, with a colonnadesupporting a vaulted and gabled roof. On top of that was a smaller domereproduced to scale.
Information from www.sayreok.net.
Beckham County Courthouse (added 1984 - Building - #84002968)In one famous scene in the movie "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940) you can see the Beckham County Courthouse in Sayre, Oklahoma, as the Joad family journeys down Route 66 towards California.
Courthouse Sq., Sayre
- Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering
- Architect, builder, or engineer: Layton,Smith, & Hawk, Oklahoma Quarries & Construction Co.
- Architectural Style: No Style Listed
- Area of Significance: Politics/Government, Architecture
- Period of Significance: 1900-1924
- Owner: Local Gov't
- Historic Function: Government
- Historic Sub-function: Courthouse
- Current Function: Government
- Current Sub-function: Courthouse